TAX ASSESSOR'S OFFICE:
Adam Tolle, Chairman
JoAnn Lacey, Assessor
Abby Smith, Assessor
Pam Nelson, Chief Appraiser
25 Court Square, Suite D
Homerville, GA 31634
Gerald Smith, Building Inspector
The Board of Tax Assessor's consists of no less than three nor more than five members appointed by the Board of Commissioners for a six year term. The Board of Tax Assessors oversees the Chief Appraiser Office and determines what property in the county is subject to taxation. Other duties include the following:
• Prepares annual property tax assessments.
• Examines and corrects errors in all real and personal property returns.
• Ensures that all property is returned for taxes at fair valuation and that valuations between individual taxpaers are fairly equalized.
• Hears property taxpayer appeals regarding property tax valuations.
• Maintains county tax records and maps.
• Inspects mobile homes located in the county to ensure that the proper decals are attached.
• Adheres to the policies set by the Georgia Department of Revenue.
• Assists the Board of Tax Equalization.
The Assessor's Office also handles the county building permits for new construction, new mobile home placement and works with the Building Inspector on the required building code inspections.